Quote of the Day

Cindy Sheehan May, 2007



“The most devastating conclusion that I reached this morning, however, was that Casey did indeed die for nothing. His precious lifeblood drained out in a country far away from his family who loves him, killed by his own country which is beholden to and run by a war machine that even controls what we think. I have tried every since he died to make his sacrifice meaningful. Casey died for a country which cares more about who will be the next American Idol than how many people will be killed in the next few months while Democrats and Republicans play politics with human lives. It is so painful to me to know that I bought into this system for so many years and Casey paid the price for that allegiance. I failed my boy and that hurts the most….
Good-bye America …you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can’t make you be that country unless you want it.”

Emphasis mine. What struck me is how I identified with Sheehan's pain for having bought into this imperial system for so many years. Schools are still teaching myths without a bit of discomfort from millions and millions of educators and parents. It is heartbreaking to me.


See Cyrano's Journal for current interview wit Cindy Sheehan. Who else do we hear speaking out against the empire's occupations around the world? *crickets*

No comments: