G234: Global Gangsters

Although this news item was at the first of the year, I don’t think the story is much changed. Before I begin I’ll announce my utter contempt for this group of despicable human waste.
Ask Not What the Climate Can Do for You, But What It Can Do for Your Portfolio
Investors meet at U.N. to discuss how to stay wealthy amid climate change
Nearly 500 corporate leaders and institutional investors representing $20 trillion in capital met at the United Nations Thursday to discuss the risks and opportunities presented by climate change. The gathering called itself the largest ever meeting of investment types specifically convened to discuss climate change. Attendees mused about how they could continue to make money in a climate-changed future, set a price for carbon that wouldn't hurt them financially, pressure the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to endorse disclosing climate-related risks, and prompt the United States to adopt legislation slashing its greenhouse-gas emissions by up to 90 percent from 1990 levels by 2050. "This action plan reflects the many investment opportunities that exist today to dent global warming pollution, build profits, and benefit the global economy," said Mindy Lubber of investment group Ceres. "Leveraging the vast energy-efficiency opportunities at home and abroad holds especially great promise for investors." Attendees pledged to invest $10 billion over the next two years on green tech and to pressure companies to divulge their climate risks.

A tiny minority in the world is running all of the major corporations which in turn fund the think tanks, control World Bank, IMF, World Trade Organization, own the media and buy universities. Oh yes, and pitch products and propaganda at all of us 24/7 through a staggering Wulizer roar of mindless celebrity-soaked distractions..

Rapicious Greed Or Herbivorous Green?

Fighting the first with everything in our arsenal and living / supporting the second with heart and soul.

This is where we should all be focused – not the silly faux elections. They are not real. Both candidates have marching orders from the ‘owners’ of us all. Besides, the election fraud of the last two elections has not been dealt with in any way. The votes can’t be trusted in that environment.

I am feeling overwhelmed in my emotions right now. And I read at earthfamilyalpha today how “we are not thinking beings that feel, we are feeling beings that think,” Oz concludes,


Will the fear of death trump the love of life in this national plebicite of feelings?

Will gathering more oil win over harvesting our renewable energies?

Will "war and division" win over "peace and harmony?

Thinking Beings who Feel will likely tip the scale.

My emotions are out of whack today. I am angry, I am distracted. I got news that my sister tried to kill herself this week. My mother and my son spoke yesterday morning. I talked to my mother last night. My sister and I haven’t spoken to each other in five years, but I still feel some deep pain. She has suffered depression and panic attacks for many years and has done this before. After burying my daughter I had to rush across the country to be her support. I can’t do that again. I have no answers, no insight and I am numb.

It does strengthen my resolve that I must constantly look outside myself for the connections to other people and living things. Slipping into self destruction is just . . . just . . .

Well, I don’t have the words today. Hug those near you. My son and I cried a bit and hugged and talked about many things yesterday. And, my mother and I had a conversation that covered all the bases and gingerly stepped between the volatile ones. I’m not sure what lies ahead.

Portland Red Trees photograph by Rana

9 comments:

LaVonne Ellis said...

Oh Kate, I'm so sorry. I was told as a child that my father had committed suicide [and believed it until I found out otherwise in my 40s] so I understand some of the anger and pain you must be feeling. I'm so glad your son is so supportive.

{{{kate}}}

katecontinued said...

Thank you.

Your story is baffling. It just begs so many questions . . . why would someone do that? Etc. Please understand, I am not asking. It is just that the questions rush in with such a provacative statement.

All of us have lives that could be made-for-television movies. And it is one of the things I love about blogging. We all bring our diverse stories of everyday living to bear on the larger national, international stories. And we no longer have to settle for a confidant just within earshot or family. Having been the odd one out in my family, I bask in the acceptance, the like-mindedness (or at least open mindedness) of others in the blogosphere.

Again, thanks.

LaVonne Ellis said...

Yikes, I didn't realize how awful that sounded until I read your reply and then re-read my comment. I was trying to avoid turning it into being all about me when you are going through a difficult time, but it backfired, sorry.

To make a long story as short as possible, my mother believed that my father stopped taking his insulin in an effort to manipulate her, and died as a result. That may or may not be true, but when I asked his sister about it years later, she categorically denied that he would do such a thing. I've chosen to believe her. My mother was wrong to tell me what she thought about his death, but she wasn't a mean person, just in too much pain herself to realize what a mistake it was to say such a thing to a young child.

You are so right about our lives being fodder for movies. I've tried to write screenplays and books about some of the things in my life, but I never could make sense of them. Still trying to make sense of my life!

katecontinued said...

That story has a ring of familiarity to me. But, my relationship with my father wasn't all that positive. My father (aka dead Ralph) did emphatically stop taking his blood pressure medication with the sole intent of killing himself. He had been dying willfully, albeit slowly, with drinking and smoking following lung cancer surgery. The last push did precipitate a stroke and eventual death. Our family is rife with drama and depression and death by one's own hand.

And I never really thought about it in just this way until I wrote that sentence. In fact the real breaking new ground, great story may well be living whole, healthy and resiliently. . . sans the gnashing of teeth. And that is cracking me up.

LaVonne Ellis said...

Yes, you truly are breaking ground--literally! I feel the same way. I love coming to your blog to get a boost of energy and ideas!

Sam said...

This must be difficult for you re: sister's attempt.

When my husband's mother recently died, we knew we were supposed to feel a certain way about the death, but since we weren't close we didn't. But then we felt bad that we didn't feel as bad as we were supposed to feel.

katecontinued said...

I am going through some of that Beany. First of all, it isn't as real because we haven't seen each other for so long. I wrote long letters to her in 2005 with only one response - leaving me with many more unanswered questions.

So, in many ways she started dying to me while alive. That is, it was as though she were dead.

I am still numb to the news and just minutes ago I tried unsuccessfully to conjur the stark reality of her near death. It didn't work. Still numb.

I have been very, very close to my sister in this lifetime, but it feels more like a distant memory. We now are on two different planets. When my mother passes I will have even less of a tie to my two sisters. Strange. It is though I am describing someone elses's life instead of my own.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Kate. Family can be so hard; I hope things work out for you and yours.

katecontinued said...

Thank you, pizzadiavola.

Congratulations for being on the blog roundup. I didn't comment, but I smiled pretty damn hard when I read your name and your post. Good for you.

What you wrote about is so sadly true. The privilege accorded us as heterosexual goes unremarked. Yet at the most traumatic and vulnerable periods of life, gay couples are diminished, rejected, separated and otherwise abused.