O98: Ocean –out of sight, out of mind

The element of water directs my attention to the Pacific Ocean. I have for some inexplicable reason been ignoring the ocean that lies less than a mile from my front door. Shameful. This week I rediscover the miracle at my doorstep that has been out of sight and out of mind for this plains-raised gal.

Last Friday I came across a Treehugger post and found a story that captivated me. I have heard about this problem of plastics becoming a monstrous floating mass in the ocean, but seeing these videos made it so much more profound.

I was enthralled by the nerdy, real life crew of this vessel. You’ll have to watch it to see what I mean. Thomas Morton, the correspondent for VBS.tv was a hoot.

Before this trip, I was never all that crazy about the ocean. I’ve always appreciated the fact that it generates the majority of the world’s oxygen and keeps us nice and far from places like Britain, but in terms of any sort of awe or “respect” it just never happened. I would say I looked at it less as the primeval womb of all terrestrial life than as an excessive amount of water you sometimes have to fly over.

Part and parcel with this was my attitude toward the Pacific Garbage Patch, or as we willfully misidentified it for the duration of our journey, the elusive Garbage Island. All the journalism I’d read about the patch had carefully danced around physical descriptions of the trash, leading myself and the rest of the shooting crew to fanciful visions of a solid, Texas-size barge of discarded Coke bottles and sporting goods. The idea that people had managed to fuck up a part of the world that nobody even visits, much less inhabits, and on such a monumental scale struck me as interesting and, to be honest, slightly awesome-sounding, but at the end of the day the impact of the mess on the rest of the world failed to register. I mean, sure, sea birds choking to death on deflated balloons and sea turtles whose shells have been completely deformed by soda can rings (click here for a picture of this if you want to completely ruin your day)—all this definitely sucks, but so do a lot of things, you know?

Needless to say this whole journey ended up overturning my expectations about the Garbage Patch, as well as just about every misconception I’ve ever held about the sea, environmentalism, consumption, barfing, knots, pollution, humanity, and myself. After absorbing the myriad dangers of our plastic-heavy lifestyles for three weeks, I’m now a proud, carbon-conscious “Earth Warrior” who yells at grocery clerks for double-bagging my produce and carries around one of those 70s gunnysacks to drink out of. Just kidding, although the trip did lead me to ferret out a group of non-hippie environmentalists who you can read about here. I also finally got into Earth Crisis. Pretty decent.

VBS CORRESPONDENT THOMAS MORTON





Thank to Treehugger for this reporting.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Thank yo so much for this link! I'll be writing an article about it in my blog, I think, once it all sinks in.

katecontinued said...

Great, glad to pass it along. I found it and went to the website to watch several more. It looks like there is a whole bunch more to follow.

There is so much to absorb, I agree. I read Fake Plastic Fish regularly and I think I do a lousy job of keeping plastic out of my life - comparatively.