A5: Art & Tesseract

I consider myself an artist because I allow myself to express myself in my environment. Art is communication above all for me. This is an area where I don’t get overly serious, I can laugh at myself. I just started a couple of art projects. It is taking forever to finish these up, but I still want to talk about them.

The first project is based on several things, including a favorite framed poster I have of Kandinsky’s Verstummen. Besides the color and composition, the geometry really appeals to me.

The project is also based on my desire to use the dozens and dozens of pieces of scrap wood ends from the studs used during the remodel of my home. These end pieces have been out in the weather for several years. I finally sawed them into somewhat uniform series of squares and hauled them inside. I set myself up to spend some nights sanding and priming while watching television.

Lastly, my motivation for this art project is a construction conundrum. I have a soffit where my trailer meets my add-on at the ceiling line. This joining is at two different heights and the rough edges of both parts need to be covered. I decided on this art project quite a while ago.

I’m using these varied sized squares overlapping each other in a random pattern. The different depths will give it a kind of texture even if all squares are white. I may paint some in the black and white checked motif in the poster. This is something I have used throughout my environment. I am also going to use these differently sized, multi-depth pieces of wood as an irregular trim detail around my front door and back doors.

tes•ser•act n.
The four-dimensional equivalent of a cube.
For some reason, the word Tesseract kept coming to me when I was coming up with the concept.
A tesseract, as every reader of Ishbadiddle knows from reading A Wrinkle In Time knows, is a
"Nnow," Mrs. Which said. "Arre wee rreaddy?"

"Where are we going?" Calvin asked.

Again Meg felt an actual physical tingling of fear as Mrs. Which spoke.

"Wwee musstt ago bbehindd thee sshaddow."

"But we will not do it all at once," Mrs. Whatsit comforted them. "We will do it in short stages." She looked at Meg. "Now wewill tesser, we will wrinkle again. Do you understand?"

"No," Meg said flatly.

Mrs. Whatsit sighed. "Explanations are not easy when they are about things for which your civilization still has no words. Calvin talked about traveling at the speed of light. You understand that, little Meg?"

"Yes," Meg nodded.

"That, of course, is the impractical, long way around. We have learned to take short cuts wherever possible."

"Sort of like in math?" Meg asked.

"Like in math." Mrs. Whatsit looked over at Mrs. Who.

"Take your skirt and show them."

"La experiencia es la madre de la ciencia. Spanish, my dears. Cervantes. Experience is the mother of knowledge." Mrs. Who took a portion of her white robe in her hands and held it tight.
"You see," Mrs. Whatsit said, "if a very small insect were to move from the section of skirt in Mrs. Who's right hand to that in her left, it would be quite a long walk for him if he had to walk straight across."

Swiftly Mrs. Who brought her hands, still holding the skirt, together.
"Now, you see," Mrs. Whatsit said, "he would be there, without that long trip. That is how we travel."

(text and images grabbed from here)

My project fits in with the Rethink It Challenge at Chile Chews place. But my project isn't a math or science experiment in time or the fourth dimension and it doesn't even accurately follow the tesseract definition. Yet according to Google, this is an example of tesseract art, so it was no accident the word kept coming to me. I am not sure how my own finished project will compare. Stay tuned.

I had no problem with the make-a-(green) plan portion. I have not used any new materials so far. It is the ‘make it so part’ I am struggling with now. I could use Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which to get from here to there.