A187: Activity, Activism and Anger

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.

Mark Twain
I am angry in many different ways. From the last couple of days’ posts it is clear I am angry with those criminals, the pResident and vice-generating pResident, in the white house.

I am angry with all the developed nations’ leaders for the useless G8 summit in a long line of useless G8 summits. This is a craven lot.

I am angry with the Congress of the United States for rubber stamping the white house criminals’ directives and failure to act on clearly impeachable offenses. And I am specifically appalled at Sen. Feinstein and Rep. Bilbray, my supposed advocates in congress who clearly don’t represent me.

I am angry with the Supreme Court for failing to protect citizens from corporate corruption, governmental malfeasance and executive excess.

I am angry with the Democratic Party for failing to represent the democratic, progressive values the party historically stands for and that representatives and senators campaigned on for in the 2006 election.

I am angry that the Obama has failed the women who have supported him.

I am angry that US media is no more than public relations for the highest bidder.

I am angry that the misogyny on a worldwide scale is growing more and more destructive and women have been taking it for centuries.

I am angry that worldwide the grass roots movements are being ignored.

I am angry at my City Council and the political sentiments that value developers and economic arguments over people and sustainability.

I am angry that my own spheres seem so out of sync with inner and outer realities.

I am angry that I feel I take one step forward and 2 steps back every day.

I am angry that people so happily offer up insipid homilies to all of the above as though I am so stupid or craven I can’t consider their vapid fixes . . .

Suffice it to say (from that last one especially), I cannot be consoled. It isn’t even a rant. It is stating the state of things in the world and these things are unacceptable.

And, those are just the high points. There are whole chapters on the layers within each – like misogyny, Obama.

It has sapped me. And I have a whole other localized version related to my own lack of activity and activism. (The community garden is a wreck and vegetables aren't even coming up. WTF?)

My year long challenge has helped me focus on things I can do to be the change I want to see. I am finding myself able to be and do things I had not felt any confidence about before trying.

The wonder of anger is that it can generate enough acid, enough pressure to overcome inertia, to take risks, to strike out in a new direction or to rally the forces within oneself or without. That is how I choose to see this week. I am gathering a head of steam to take to the next level of activism and activity.

Post Script. It may just be that the murder of crows outside has been at it all day yesterday and starting again today. They have been cawing and scolding and screeching for hours upon hours.

Crow image from Frogs and Ravens

No comments: