No Impact Man Anniversary

I featured the Path to Freedom folks in my first week blogging. But, for sheer drama I must say that No Impact Man was single-handedly responsible for startling me out of my past mindset and into a real sense of urgency and purpose.



In Colin Beaven's
own words:
The No Impact Experiment

The way I see it, waiting for the senators and the CEOs to change the way we treat the world is taking too long. Polar bears are already drowning because the polar ice is melting. In fact, research shows it’s worse: they are so hungry, they are actually starting to eat each other.

I can’t stand my so-called liberal self sitting around not doing anything about it anymore. The question is: what would it be like if I took the situation (or at least my tiny part of it) into my own hands? I’m finding out.

For one year, my wife, my 2-year-old daughter, my dog and I, while living in the middle of New York City, are attempting to live without making any net impact on the environment. In other words, no trash, no carbon emissions, no toxins in the water, no elevators, no subway, no products in packaging, no plastics, no air conditioning, no TV, no toilets…

What would it be like to try to live a no impact lifestyle? Is it possible? Could it catch on? Is living this way more fun or less fun? More satisfying or less satisfying? Harder or easier? Is it worthwhile or senseless? Are we all doomed or is there hope? These are the questions at the heart of this whole crazy-assed endeavor.

The drama is the key. I am attracted to the no holds barred approach. My own plan will be vastly different as I am living in a small So.California town, I live alone, etc. But, Colin has a years worth of valuable insights and tips and I will continue to reference his archives. Additionally, he is now going to be working with his wife to re-introduce into their lives some of the items they gave up - or not.

No comments: